Monday, October 15, 2007

Feeling Green


It's blog action day, and I'm doing my bit to save a tree or two. Hopefully, there's someone out there jobless enough to read my musings and take note, and POSSIBLY be affected in some form or manner.
So. I am a tree hugger. Not so much a kaftan-toting, unshaven flower child picketing over the rights of leaves, but someone who demonstrates a considerable amount of angst towards the likes of mismanaged deforestation. Simply put, if you kill the trees, I'll want to kill you.

I can be sensible enough to understand the needs of man and the necessity to utilise trees for various purposes. I do, in fact, sit in chairs and eat at tables myself. And life wouldn't be the same without paper. However, I am also learned enough to know that several environmentally conscious organisations and nations have adopted strategies to ensure the sustainability of the eco-environment, whilst at the same time felling trees for whatever end goal. What I detest is lethargic entities that know of this, but don't follow suit. It's quite apparent that no amount of public outcry or well-meaning pleas from environmentalists are going to change man's ways, given the state of our planet today. If people listened, Al Gore wouldn't have had to do anything worthy of a nobel prize. I think it's high time a more nazi-like approach was taken to sort out this whole issue, and violators of nature were taken severely to task without question.

I look around me today and am saddened by the way this country and more so this world has 'developed'. Gone are the days where I can sit under a tree and listen to a happy bird sing, or smile at a naughty squirrel while enjoying the cool fresh breeze swirling around me. Ha. Nowadays, just FINDING said tree is called a vacation, and requires extensive travel. I am quite amused with so-called contractors and real estate developers who harp on about their grand plans to ruin a perfectly good scenery. I am even more amused by the sheer idiocy that compels some people to buy into that crap. If the city life was all that hot and happening, then why the dickens do city dwellers pay out of their nose to 'get away' on weekends? For god's sake, you have to buy TICKETS to see the squirrels now!

There's no point in me repeating what everyone else says about the state of affairs today - how illness is spreading, animals are suffering extinction, the air is poisonous, etc. etc. blah blah. I think it's come to a point where saying it is not even necessary, simply because we're all living in a hellhole anyway, and not knowing it puts you in the comatose category.

There's no two words about it. The world is fading fast, and unless we want to end up withered slivers of diseased corpse, then we need to do something about it, WITHOUT waiting for someone else to start and win a Nobel prize along the way.

If not for the sake of the trees, do it for your own damn sake.

2 comments:

Azrael said...

Yey Long live the Trees!!!

Happy Blog Action Day

Cheers!!!

Dili said...

Well this is one subject everyone should be loudmouthed and overdramatic about. :)

Nice one dramaqueen