Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Whirlwind

I am in a panic.

(And yet, I have the time and frame of mind to blog. Ah, the ironies of life...)

Too fast. It's all happening too fast. I always thought the phrase 'so much to do, so little time' was applicable only to those corny badges we used to pin on our schoolbags in an unsuccessful attempt at coolness. But by golly, I am so empathizing with the schmuck who first thought up the line.

I leave the island with my office colleague in two days, to participate in the Young Lotus competition in Thailand. For the last month my team member and I were promised numerous hours of industry training and grilling in order that we'd be duly prepared to take on the rest of Asia, but up to date not a single thing has happened. Nothing. Nada. We don't even know how to use the damn softwares on our laptops.

Sue me, but I'm a nervous wreck right now. I like being prepared... or at least feeling prepared. The most preparation I've got so far is the underwear I'm packing into my suitcase (you never know when you might meet with a horrible accident on the streets of Pattaya. It's only polite to let the paramedics see some decent undies on you).

They say 18 teams from around Asia will be competing. That's 34 other participants who will know what they're doing, while the two of us blink rapidly and wonder how to switch our machines on. Every time I cried to my boss this past week about how under-prepared and technically ignorant we are, he chuckled and told me to 'chill'. Chill? CHILL? I'll chill when I'm not representing myself, my agency and my country in an international contest. Then I'll chill. But for now, I think I'll take it seriously, thank you very much. I can't help but wonder why any sane employer wouldn't share in my anxiety. Chilling won't help me figure out Final Cut Pro on my macbook. Chilling won't flood my head with award-winning creative ideas. The only thing chilling will do is avoid a heart attack on my behalf, which, by the looks of it, is also an experience not far off.

Life has been a hectic mess for a month now. I haven't had barely enough time to breathe, let alone figure this competition out. Work has been a mad chaos, and I've been multi-tasking at a rate. I am writing scripts and shooting commercials in my dreams now. Have been rushing maniacally between meetings with the boyfriend, clients, banks, travel agents, production houses, home, office and the petrol stations that are benefiting hugely from it all. Everything needs to be done NOW NOW NOW. Add to that the looming competition that I should rightfully be confident about and fully geared for....

Shit. Two days more. SHIT.

Maybe I should chill.

6 comments:

Dili said...

Going in hot headed like that you'll burn yourself much less the competition. Better to chill and freeze their pants off. :)

If you chill you'll at least be clear minded enough to figure stuff out on the fly if you have to, instead of walking blindly through the mental equivalent of a heat haze like you;re doing now. :)

Chill.

Good Luck.

:)

Dilrukshi said...

you are going to be fine. ok so maybe i know jack all about what you have to do and what it means, but you know what? i know you. and so i know you will be fine.
there's my zen moment for the day/.

Jack Point said...

Dont want to add to your panic but is it possible to do some research on the web or elsewhere on your own? Don't wait for the official briefing, do what you can on your own.

I had a similar experience a long time ago - and I made a complete ass of myself- I even have a video tape to prove it and I cringe every time I view it.

dramaqueen said...

Yes dili, I think I should... but it's tough. Kinda like those days where you really want to fall asleep but cant.

Dil, I'd much rather have that zen by way of a cup of coffee. What say you?

Jack - yes, am doing my own thing. Have bought myself training dvds to teach myself the softwares, and am doing some reading up too.But since I don't have any experienced advice, I don't quite know where to start..

Unknown said...

"I am in a panic. (And yet, I have the time and frame of mind to blog. Ah, the ironies of life...)"

you make blogging sound like something you do when you have time and a good frame of mind :)

i see it as "expression of thought". so you're stressed and hence the blog post. and yeah stress is written all over it.

play rotflcopter. it helps.

The Doctor said...

Like i've said as well before, chill.. You'll do your best i know you.

Lets hope those late nights of online tutorials and not so helpful lessons by the boyfriend, help in someway when it comes to the competition.

Read up as much as possible, take print outs of shortcuts and tips, breathe.

wooosahhh.

TC. God Bless. And best of luck!!!