Thursday, January 3, 2008

On My Mark... Get Set.....

Go. It's a new year.

It wouldn't be right if I didn't join in the bandwagon and say my piece on the dawn of 2008 noh?
But what positive thing can I say without sounding like a real glib idiot living in a disillusioned bubble? Look at us... look at the way our lives have panned out.

Amongst everything else-
  • We're ruled by the epitome of corruption and sheer stupidity in the form of an excuse for a government, with little or no hope for change, given that every other political party is equally bad. It's just one whole carton of bad eggs.
  • Green is a colour that is fast fading. The gardens and trees galore of yesteryear are nothing but lifeless concrete blocks of apartments that cost your soul to live in.
  • People no longer have the option of surviving. The cost of living dictates that either you kill off or sell your newborn children or you just kill yourself before you have them.
  • The elephant is on its way out. So are close to 12,000 other species of animals that I didn't need a history book to learn about when I was a kid.
  • Children don't even wince at the sight of the violent gore they see on horror shows, given that everyday life exposes them to pretty much the same things anyway.

And all I can do about it is get fatter and older, while blogging my histrionics away.

My thought process has led me, therefore, to what I call my 'strategy of the year'. I am going to take the Sri Lankan politician's route and not give a damn. About the powers that be, that is.

I have realised that we can stand on our heads and scream obscenities at the authorities, and a few of us might even go beyond that to actually TRY activation towards our favourite causes, but nothing will come of it. We can talk all we want, but somewhere out there until the ends of time, women, children, the environment and animals will keep getting abused by the spineless fools that make up three fourths of our country's population. And so, instead of rant at deaf ears, I hae resorted to do what I can in whatever simple way I can, and stop relying on those goddamn idiots running my country.

That will be resolution no.1.

Meanwhile, I also need to spend more time on me, because, you know, I'm selfish and inconsiderate like that. I made myself a list of all the things I want to achieve in 2008, and hopefully shall stick by it somehow or the other. So, since I love sharing, here's my list-

2. Laugh more.

My life has become too stressful lately. It's high time I went back to loving what I do, and finding things funny again.

3. Love more.

The joys of having a witness to one's life is starting to grow on me. I have something good right now... I need to work on it (and myself) to make sure it stays that way.

4. Travel

My must-see list goes as Egypt, Paris, Italy, Greece, Peru, USA and Malaysia in that order. I will aim for the first this year.

5. Move out. (Say it with me. "My own place... my own place... my own place...")

6. Buy a car

7. Buy a new phone

8. Start dancing again. (It's been too long.)

9. Be involved in at least 2 plays this year.

10. Save more dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rodents and the occasional fish. Insects can wait till 2009.

There you have it.

So? what's yours?

2 comments:

Azrael said...

Ahh...life in a land like no other, how quaint it is...

Well good luck on achieving your list.

Oh and do post more pictures from your travels (when you do go to all the places mentioned :).

The Doctor said...

:)

Wish you the best of luck in acheiving at least some of, if not all, those resolutions.

I was thinking that i should do more this year as well. Definitely need to get a new phone, and work on my ride. Travel is a must, somewhere somehow.

But then again, who knows what'll happen tomorrow. Just gonna enjoy and love, laugh and live the best way i know how.

Smooch!