Monday, July 7, 2008

Feet, Sand and Sleep

Mondays suck. They should outlaw Mondays.

Especially after rather nice weekends.

Saturday was a 'me day', with the BF out of town and no work commitments to stress over. It's been some time since I took a whole day to myself... 'twas bliss to say the least.

I started the day with an appointment for plucking. By this I mean that all-important monthly ritual women masochistically undergo to look and feel nice... that awful word that sends shivers down the spines of men who think they're all that but are really not- waxing. Yeah, baby. Legs and arms, that's the way to go. The one hour's experience of having your body hair ripped out unceremoniously after having doused hot wax over it first is an excruciating exercise that's totally worth the effort and gritting of teeth, in my books. There's a sense of accomplishment that I get every time I walk out of that salon with my skin feeling sexy and as smooth as a baby's bottom. "I survived waxing", I silently claim to the world as I sashay like a drunken cat to my car, nearly tripping over a grate on the way.

Please. Give me my little moments of heroism, ok?

So after de-furring myself I happily (and somewhat painfully) chugged off to 'Foot Comfort' at the Crescat Mall to enjoy a much-awaited-for foot massage. The boyfwend was a darling to have gifted me a voucher for the place, knowing full well how I adore every chance to get my toes pummelled. To all those who yearn a good foot massage but are not able to afford the likes of a posh spa that costs your (or your husband's) annual salary for a single session, I fully recommend 'Foot Comfort'. Granted, they are not cheap per say, with a 20-minute foot therapy session costing 850 bucks, but your feet will tell you afterwards that it's money well spent.

I love that place. Especially their large, ultra-comfy reclining leather bedseats, into which I gratefully sank and dozed off in while a soldier-like woman rubbed, kneaded and squeezed my feet to a peaceful trance. I hate the feeling of having a foot rub come to an end and having to walk away after it. The whole exercise of sending yourself into a massaged utopia just becomes redundant at that point.

But walk I did, feet looking clean and smelling like peppermint, because there's a limit to the hospitality that even Foot Comfort will shower you with once your session is over.

A lazy browse through the bookshop (I do love to park myself inside bookshops... don't you?) and a plate of sushi later, I went back home. This mostly because there really isn't a single place for a single female in SL to go to and just be, besides her bedroom. It's a sad state of affairs, and gave me the brainwave to someday open up a cosy little cafe just for women, with private meditative booths for girls who want to get away from it all for a couple of hours and read books or contemplate on girly things. I even thought of calling the place PMS.
Anyway, given that no current alternative was available ( I really WISH we had an inexpensive place to just go chill out in alone, away from people or noise.), I toddled off home and locked myself in my bedroom and settled down for a good read. Even the cat was not welcome.
It was lovely... within seconds of opening my new book I'd dozed off only to wake up that evening, hungry for dinner.

The alone time I gave myself put me in a good mood, so I magnanimously offered to take Mum and Slimy Sibling out to dinner. Decided to try out 'Loon Tao' on the Mount Lavinia beach, because I'd heard good things about the place.

To give you a quick personal review of Loon Tao :

Pros
  1. The food is excellent (yummy, tasty, well presented, delicious, etc., etc.)
  2. The food is very reasonably priced
  3. The ambience is really nice
  4. The waiters are friendly
Cons
  1. The walk between the parking area and the restaurant is a bit of an exercise. (but that's alright, coz you obviously can't be expected to drive and park on the beach)
  2. The security guard at the official carpark is an incompetent, rude, obnoxious arse who doesn't really give a damn about you or your vehicle's safety. (Yes... I had a run-in with the man)
  3. The food takes a LOOOOONG time to come to you, once ordered. But that could have been circumstances on the night I went there.
  4. If you choose a table on the sand, you will sink when your ass meets that chair.
But all in all a visit worth making, and one that I will definitely make again.

And thus ended my Saturday. I was very pleased with myself and day... I must remember to give myself some time off more often.

Now... if only there weren't any Mondays that follow....

7 comments:

The Doctor said...

Heh. I'm so glad u had time for yourself, after all anything i can do to make u feel all girly and gooey is cool, and if u want help starting that all girl chill zone, count me in! :)

Maybe i shall give u more opportunities to have more alone time hmmm? Btw, I think ur cute.

Hugggg X

Gutterflower said...

I've waxed my hands only once in my short life time. And that too I was forcibly dragged to by a group of friends. Its grown since then and resembles a small wheat field by now. :)

I want to do it again, but I don't think I can survive the pain of having my hair ripped out of their roots. Owwww. Even thinking of it hurts.

Sachini said...

I was at Loon Tao about two months back and my experience was pretty much same as yours. Gorgeous food but it takes forever. The owner is an acquaintance and when he asked for our feedback, we mentioned the poor service and he said that they were having a staff problem. I guess that is continuing. So a week day when there are less customers would be a better day to dine there I guess.

santhoshi said...

hey good idea about the PMS place. It would be a hit in colombo as u correctly pointed out there is no place for a woman to go and hang out alone without getting weirdo stares........

Scrumps said...

Oh waxing - the joys of being a woman! I love the winter when I know I can get away with being a hairy buffoon! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I have some good News regarding Loon Tao. They have got in some new Chefs (including a new Chinese one) and despite been quite full there service seems much faster since I last visited a few months ago. Plus i was told that the present security company has been sacked and from 1st Feb a new multinational Sec co. will take over....things are likely to change

booby said...

Hey wanna share this with you guys.I visited Loon Tao recently and the service has improved beyond imagination !! Apart from the regular manager they seem to have two new managers !! I believe this has worked and even the security guards I found very polite and knew their job !!Ahhh ... food was awesome as ever!! They certainly have a very good taste for the accoustic soloists who perform everyday.