Sunday, June 29, 2008

Are YOU proud?


Last night I dragged the BF to watch 'I Have a Dream' - the show put on by Equal Ground to kick off Pride 2008 in Sri Lanka. The show was timed to coincide with the gay pride parades taking to the streets across India, in a unified initiative to celebrate equal rights for all sexes.

It was spectacular.

The show started off with a welcome speech by Sahran, who enlightened the not-so-gay folk (us) of Equal Ground's work in Sri Lanka, and the importance of developing a tolerant and accepting society. He got quite a hefty round of applause for that- mainly from the community members in the audience, but also from those of us who agreed wholeheartedly that society is nothing but a hypocritical snob. Then came the performances, that BLEW me away.

There were moments of sheer fun and hilarity, with the ever-fabulous Koluu doing his swan lake number (Imagine Koluu, in all his overweight glory, dressed up as a preening swan and shimmying his way on tiptoes. Then imagine Priyanka Holsinger, who is a good ten sizes smaller that Koluu, bouncing behind the swan as the eager prince. Are you laughing yet?) and sending us into fits of giggles. Another item that got the audience bursting was the 'Batta' number, where six heavyset gay men dressed up as little sinhala girls, pigtails and all, and pranced about to a famous local tune.

There were other moments of unbelievable glam, thanks to the likes of Lou Ching Wong, Jerome de Silva, Michael Holsinger, Sahran and a number of others. We witnessed fabulous drag renditions of Dreamgirls, Abba, Sex and the City and a couple of other numbers. Then came the items that put any choreographed musical performances I've ever done to downright shame. Excerpts from West Side Story, Moulin Rouge and Grease, to name a few. The nun's chorus in the Sound of Music was pretty funny too, but you had to be there to know what I'm talking about.

The evening ended with the rainbow-coloured Pride flags being waved by every single performer as they sang their anthem 'We are Family'... one couldn't help but sing along and clap to the beat of the finale.

All in all, it was true visual treat and an undeniable achievement for Equal Ground in terms of showcasing their cause. To those of us in the sudience who are straight, it was a fabulous show full of glitz and glamour... but I know that to the other different sex communities, it was much more than just a performance. It was a chance to shout out their differences proudly without shame or ostracism in a forum that was accepting of those differences. I felt proud FOR them.

The show made me think hard last night. All my life I have struggled for identity. Not sexually, but as a person... I've struggled both internally and externally for the right to be who I am, and for the independance to live my life as I choose. If I, being a heterosexual female, had to struggle that much and undergo the constant emotional trauma, I can just imagine how difficult it has been for those others out there who are of a different from what is deemed 'normal' by society. It takes a hell of a lot more strength than I could ever muster to be so strongly opinionated and stand up for oneself when the whole country points hating fingers at you for being unconventional.

Really... who are we to determine what sex is acceptable and what sex isn't? Why does sexual preference have to play a part in who you are as a person? If I liked girls, would that make me a bad human being?

All these social 'norms' of ours are nothing but bullshit. People just can't leave other people alone, and most of us turn against what we have little or no knowledge of. Just because we have no understanding of it does not give us the right to deem it abnormal. It's why this world is riddled with issues like racism and sexism. We just can't leave well enough alone, can we?

I for one applaud the gay/lesbian/transgender/bi/questioning communities. I may not have the same preferences as they do, but in my eyes they are ten feet tall for not allowing a prudish society trample them and subjugate them with archaic mindsets. I wish I could stand up for myself as much as they do.

Which brings me to a question.... are WE proud of OURSELVES? Can we look back with the satisfaction that we fought for what we believed in as much as the members of Equal Ground? Those of us who point accusing fingers... aren't WE the ones who are constantly trying to live up to a norm just to please society? Shouldn't we be trying to break through the barriers we allow OURSELVES to be roped into?

Hmmm. Food for thought.

Meanwhile, Pride 2008 ROCKS!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put Hissyfits. I was sadly dragged away to work in the middle of the show. Am a very pissed off girl. Come for the Kite Festival on Sunday. I love being a part of Pride every year, helps us all let go and just be ourselves for a change eh?

Anonymous said...

'All in all, it was true visual treat and an undeniable achievement for Equal Ground in terms of showcasing their cause. To those of us in the sudience who are straight, it was a fabulous show full of glitz and glamour...'

That comment is precisely why I don't think what Equal Ground did was great. Their cause is for the entire gay community. Somehow this comes across as very elitist. )In all fairness, I heard the show was great). The tickets were steep. The gay community over here in Colombo who can afford to watch performaces of this nature (in most cases) don't have it as bad as those out of colombo. Those out of Colombo suffer that much more merely 'cos of the more conventional attitude of society in those areas. What good would a performance of this nature do for them? They're being taunted and beaten up simply for being gay, whilst their 'family' over here in colombo has a ball!

Anonymous said...

Agree with Anon. Was just discussing this very topic a few days ago with friends. Do the Koluus and Lou Chings have anything in common with the vast majority of SL gays -- who aren't elite, English-speaking, Colombo 7 types. Do shows like this DO anything for the real gay community? Or is it a hypocritical chance for the elite straight community to showcase their fashionable empathy and tolerance?

What do bloody kite shows and drag tricks have to do with gay rights? It's like saying the black & white minstrel show was about black rights.

dramaqueen said...

Good points to ponder on, and worth discussion. I can't speak for the community, because my knowledge of the hows and whys are very limited. I only wrote on my observations of the show itself, and the fact that I was entertained and provoked to start thinking.

Perhaps we should open this to anyone else out there reading this blog post. Any responses/comments peeps?

Anonymous said...

David, I fully agree with you on the ticket pricing and that most of the acitivities put on during Pride don't target the majority of gays mostly due to costs.

But kite flying and drag shows ARE a part of gay culture. Pride after all is about that. Its not about the overall mission of gay rights NGOs and activists in the country. Its a cultural festival. Similar GLF being a celebration of literature, but as everyone seemed to say, too "elite" in its positioning as well.

Dee said...

Interesting thoughts...

"All my life I have struggled for identity....If I, being a heterosexual female, had to struggle that much and undergo the constant emotional trauma,.."

That hit close to heart :)

Anonymous said...

TMS - the kite festivals and drag shows get the most amount of attention. Equal ground's purpose is to mainstream the gay community's issues. (from my understanding) They're doing a very good job of it this week with the drag shows, kite festivals and boozy parties. (A lot of them, like I said earlier, at steep prices.)
But what good comes of it in the end? If they were to put this much effort into doing something that would help the entire gay community, THEN they would achieve what they're (supposedly) working towards.

Tanya J. (I can't seem to use my google account to comment so am using the anonymous option).

Anonymous said...

What rubbish.

"But kite flying and drag shows ARE a part of gay culture."

Where, in San Francisco? There's nothing gay about flying kites in SL.

I'm not talking about ticket prices, for God's sake. Don't you get it that Koluu and the average SL gay aren't even on the same planet, never mind country. You could've had free entry to the shows and it would've still been pointless.

How can you talk about being proud, when most SL gays live in fear of even being found out? Talk about fear, not pride, and you might start scratching the surface.

If it's a cultural festival, shouldn't it reflect the culture of the gay community, and not that of a few elite Colombites? Is the gay community of SL as a WHOLE into drag shows?

You comparison of this with the Galle Lit is ridiculous, to say the least. The latter is a festival of English literature, and IS accessible to the majority of Sri Lankan English writers and literati. Literature is by its nature, for the elite in SL. Homosexuality isn't.

The Doctor said...

Twas definitely a night of entertainment. I was skeptical at first at the thought of going for the show but the GF dragged me, but in the end i was applauding louder than anyone else at the gala performances and humor.

The points stated above are true though as this was just the colombo crowd showcasing their prowess in full gay pride, and this is not really a possibility for the less fortunate gays/lesbians living out of colombo, who do have to become closet cases for fear of retribution by the less patient and compassionate.

Its a sad truth though, but one that we are faced constantly being human beings.

Maybe someday sooner rather than later we'll see equal rights but a common place fact.

In the end, the show was an amazingly choreographed, talented, well put on performance that left the crowd in laughter and appreciation. Good job!!

Anonymous said...

Not sure you can really compare the lit festival with Pride. One is a celebration of culture while the other is a celebration of a lifestyle and a display of a fight for rights. I didn't attend Pride in SL but I have been to Pride in SF and the keynote speech acknowledged all that has come before the event in terms of fighting for gay rights in the US.

If such an explicit promotion of a fight for gay rights for all gay Sri Lankans was not acknowledged at Pride...then it would have been pointless as pointed out by anon and DB.

My two cents.

Amila Salgado said...

A thought-provoking piece and quite a good may I add. I have nothing to add except I like that lisptick because it reminds me of a certain male dragonfly which has that colour it its entire body. Would that be gay?

Anonymous said...

Equal Ground is a non profit human Rights trust,they are fighting for the decriminalisation of homosexuality and fighting against discrimination towards Queer people. This can neither be cheap nor easy as so many of us are so bigotted and live such a comfortable life here in Colombo, to care for those less fortunate.

The drag show was a fund Raiser and I was happy to PAY!

At least Equal Ground seams to care, none of the trustees really need to do what they are doing,as they are fully excepted members of of Colombo society but they do it because they care and have a passion to further their cause.

I am not sure if you picked up a copy of their events for Pride week? There is so much going on, most of it Free!! I went to the launch of the Art exhihibition and queer short story book on monday night. My wife bought a copy of the book (200rs) wow, I couldnt believe what I was reading, simply writen, was the plight of the gay community in the villages, an amazing Eye oppener for me.

Anonymous asked what relevance does the Kite festival or Drag show have for the Gay rights movement in Sri Lanka? let me ask you, what relevance does a Christmas tree have for a tropical country like Sri Lanka? should it not be a decorated Palm tree?

But I think you are missing the point. I think PRIDE is all about firstly creating awarness that there are people who are not the same as all of us and that we should celebrate our differences. secondly it is an oppertunity for gay people to gather and support each other, to be able to stand tall and proud of who they are and not having to make excuses and lie.

We are too quick to judge, including myself, I am a father of Gay son, and at first my own Singhala Christian beliefs and attitudes almost killed my son.

I have learnt now, not only to except my son but to proud of him, for I would never choose to be Gay and I do not think he would either, it is not a choice, it is who you are. Who would want their family, Government and society go againts them. But My son stands tall overcoming each day obstecles put before him. And I am Proud of Him.

I thank equal ground for their work and commitment towards their cause for finnaly addresing the issues of sexuality which we, here in Colombo want so much to sweep under the carpet. If they can make a differnce in the life of one person they have succeeded, and they have, they have helped me and my Familly.

So on Sunday I will be on the beach, flying our Rainbow kites over Colombo and saying it is ok to be Gay. and lending my voice to the Sri lankan Queer community as they fly high, for there is nothing for them to hide or be ashamed of. This is their Pride and I am Proud for them.

Anonymous said...

'Anonymous asked what relevance does the Kite festival or Drag show have for the Gay rights movement in Sri Lanka? let me ask you, what relevance does a Christmas tree have for a tropical country like Sri Lanka? should it not be a decorated Palm tree?'
This comment pretty much sums up the absurdity of your argument!

dramaqueen said...

Um... all very valid points of view/arguments/comments. I'm inclined to agree with anonymous 2 (the one who's son is gay)... does it really matter that it has DIRECT relevance to gay rights issues?
For me, things like the PR that PRIDE gets and the showcasing of colombo's elite gay community are the only ways that the gay voice is heard by people like me. And people like me live in circles who DON'T support gay rights. All of a sudden, because of one fabulous drag show starring big diva names, or a funky kite festival, gay people don't seem as bad as my grandfathers make them out to be. In fact, there's a hive of young people like me who actually think PRIDE is cool, and therefore gay people are cool.
I know it doesn't directly contribute towards saving the lives of the ostracized gays living outside colombo, but the changing of mindsets and attitudes has got to start somewhere, right? And what louder way to shout out that gays are 'faggulous' (in the words of themissingsandwich) than something like the PRIDE festival?

Heck... it worked for me... I've got a new respect for their efforts and capabilities. And surely, the funding raised by such expensive endeavours are used TOWARDS the betterment of the people living in the outskirts.

Does that make sense?

dramaqueen said...

p.s. - not to stir up a hornet's nest, but I don't think anon 2's argument was absurd at all.

Plus I applaud him for accepting his son... I know what it's like to have your parents frown on the way you choose to live, based on their own convictions. It means more than anything to have your father approve of you for the person you are.

Anonymous said...

Certainly, the Christmas Tree vs palm tree argument isn't absurd. Just inaccurate. Christmas has a universal character and image that is widely accepted by traditional Christians everywhere, including SL. The Christmas Tree is one of those symbols, and has been around long enough to be accepted. I doubt the Christmas Tree would have been any use in spreading Christianity or the spirit of Christmas in the first couple of centuries AD. Get my drift?

Anonymous said...

The Christmas tree is part of the trappings of Christmas. Which is precisely what I was trying to say regarding the kite festivals and drag shows.
Tanya J.

Anonymous said...

No, Anon, the Christmas Tree is one of the TRADITIONS of Christmas. I hope you can understand that nuance.

Anonymous said...

David, the Christmas tree is both a tradition and (to me) a part of the trappings of Christmas. They are not mutually exclusive terms.

Tanya J.

dramaqueen said...

Hang on a sec...

Not that I don't truly love and appreciate your comments, so please do continue, but...

...ae we still discussing the justification of PRIDE, or the virtues of a christmas tree???

Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry for digressing. Was addressing what David said regarding the Christmas trees. Have taken the discussion off-line, so won't be talking about trees anymore :-)
Tanya J.

The Doctor said...

Christmas Trees??!!!! huh?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with David and Tanya. I have been at it myself and I realized that it was an elite event that not all classes can join.. to that extent I frown on it... I am sensitive to the gay issue and I for one was put off by the whole concept.. :( it's absurd but the sad truth is that most "spoilt" colombo 7 types get a "find yourself" kick out of this event while the genuine gay people who are suddering in the backwoods of Sri Lanka can nothing out of kites being flown in some elitist parade :(

Anonymous said...

Hi all

yes i,m proud that sri lankan gay /trangender community have steped out to help like minded brothers and sisters . but the sad part in that is transgenders like us are unaware of these sort of parades and parties which we wud love to be a part of.So it is recommended for top brasses in the field like koluu,lou chins and prinko etc to pay much attention on to the others who are away from cbo .keep tag on the other crossdressers,TG,and drag queens ,gays and info them on issues on these type .hope to hear from someone who is really involved in these issues.
keep up the good work sisters and god bless
Tgrl melinni transgender M2F