Sunday, November 23, 2008

Budget Spa

Consider that feeling of utter relaxation you get when you visit a spa and have all your worldly cares whisked away for a few gorgeous hours. Or the sensations of pure peace and sanctity that come with the ambience and dead silence that a spa affords. Now consider the possibility of having all that stress-free bliss for free. Yes you heard me. FREE. No breaking the bank to feel good.

What if I told you that there is such a thing as the ‘spa experience’ that doesn’t cost a cent? What if I also told you that it’s just two minutes (or less) away from where you’re seated right now?

Didn’t think there’d ever be such a thing eh? Hah, I say.

Ladies and Gentlegerms, I give to you my very own domestic version of the ultimate relaxation hotspot (CUE DRUMROLL)– The Bathroom.

La toilette, to be precise and posh if you must.

Oh for heaven’s sake stop gasping like an asphyxiating chicken. What, you don’t think the toilet could ever measure up to the luxuries of the spa? You’re such a snob.

I, for one, proudly maintain that no spa in the world can give me a better feeling than my loo does. The absolute silence of no other presence in the room other than yourself and your thoughts, the sheer privacy and fact that no one will dare disturb you while you’re in there are just the surface of the spa-features that a solid toilet offers. And then there’s the release…

I dare you to tell me that the act of peeing or pooing doesn’t give you a sense of utopian satisfaction. Especially when you’ve had a particularly busy day with little time for visiting the john, and therefore have had to hold up for a whole. It doesn’t matter, really, whether you have day-old urine fermenting in your bladder or whether it’s a sudden urge that’s developed… the fabulous feeling of letting it go in the comfort of a secluded little toilet can match no other. I swear I could write a poem about it.

I usually like to take care of my physical business and then instead of rushing out like so many others do, I sit and dwell. Dwell in the serenity and privacy. Dwell in the few stolen moments I have to only myself, where I know I am safe from eyes or ears for as long as I like while I just steep myself in the meditational calm of it all. Of course I’d flush first, given that poo smell is anything but aromatherapy, unless you’re into that kind of thing. Sometimes if I feel like an extra bit of self-TLC I’ll sniff at a bar of soap that’s conveniently resting by the sink or spritz some jasmine air freshener around. Instant transcendence.

I know quite a few acquaintances in the ad industry who swear by the toilet when it comes to their work. No, I did not mean it as a witty metaphor to explain how shitty creative ideas can be, although come to think of it, I could have. But not right now. I meant the toilet being our best friend during brainstorming. It’s either to do with the fact that most of us are generally on our way to early mental retardation, or we’ve just hit on a secret that no one else knows about. I kid you not…some of my best ideas come when I’m sitting on the throne. I don’t know why that is… I’m guessing it’s the total, utter calm of the place that allows my thoughts to focus rather than stray to a number of distractions like how many paperclips I have in my desk drawer.

Ask anyone I work with who knows me well enough. LD can give you a clue about that. She knows that when she sees me whizzing past her towards the office loo, I’ll usually come out having had an epiphany in there. She’s usually the first person to hear my bathroom brainwaves, and she’ll tell you they’re good. Sometimes bordering on genius. And all because I took the time to pee on it.

I would go on, but I won’t, seeing as how I’m sure I’ve aroused your curiosity about this remarkable concept. I would suggest you give it a try, when you next feel stressed out with life and just need to give yourself a break – no pun intended. Go… find yourself a commoded cubicle. Close the door and in doing so, everything else out. Sit in it. Close your eyes. Let go. Breaaaathe. In no time you’ll forget you ever had a headache, or pain wherever else. You’ll smile. You will find yourself.
The best thing is… you didn’t have to open your wallet for the experience.

I need to take your leave now. I have a spa appointment. Await a happier me.

13 comments:

Hoot-a-Toot said...

You are right! I tried it. After I was done, I flushed and closed the lid and then I sat on the lid. Much more comfortable....

Dee said...

very graphic.

Sachi said...

"It's very peaceful here. No interruptions.No problems. No responsibilities, No worries. Toilets are so beautiful. Life in a toilet is bliss" - A text sent to me by my best friend some time back. I guess u r not alone in being this dramatic about a bathroom :)

Spice said...

I was all ready and set to go to your free spa, until I read the 'two minutes away' line.

BUT, really??
I have this phobia of public loos and their hygiene. Your office 'spa' must be super clean I presume?

Lady divine said...

Budget spas rock alright!
I love that feeling... where your bladder is so full and has been that way for a long time....:) and then you just realise.... aaahh.. pure bliss!

and yes, your creativity rocks when you've been to the budget spa..:D

if anyone wants to know more, just ask moi..:D

dramaqueen said...

Surani - I've never been one for closed-lid seating. I find he cold plastic unnerving. The opn seat feels more nest-like.

DeeCee - coming from the queen of graphic detail, I'm taking that as a compliment. :D

Middle Child - I like your friend already.

Spice - Oh yeah hygene and sanitation is a must. I won't find peace in a public loo either, unless it smells and looks nice. Our office loo is quite alright. Individual 6'x5' cubicles that cloister you up in a warm cosy cement womb. I also like fancy restaurant toilets... those are like vacation zen spots.

LD - Can I give them your number? :)

Jack Point said...

Bogging in office is thing I prefer to avoid but a quick pee break does help gather scattered thoughts. Given that I drink a lot of water, thats a frequent experience.

Anonymous said...

can somebody suggest me a gud day spa in mexico?

samanalee said...

hahaha i totally agree with you on this!

confession: some of my best poetic ideas have come to me while at the "spa"

LOL :D

Dee said...

seriously? u think so? errm...

Foxhound said...

Yeah it can be great a place for thinking. Hell some people sing in the shower too... (like me?)

Sach said...

Ahahahhahaa! OMG you cracked me up!
This is the first post I read this morning and you just made my day!
LMAO!

Confab said...

great post. dont forget oprah's advice - when in the loo, pay attention. listen and look. listen coz plop plop plop means trouble (not enough water). it must have the swish of a pacific diver :P
look, coz ur stool should be curved. straight shit aint good apparently!

ooh now look what u've done, got me started on my pet subject.

btw, u advise us to sit down let go and then breathe? i'd say breathe before u let go, dontcha think?