Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Spidey-itis

You know how Spiderman claims that 'with power come responsibility'? Well, I've got the Spiderman Flu. Symptoms consist of mixed emotions and feelings of annoyance, despair, confusion, alarm, rage and immense stress.

Things are NOT happening the way I planned, and it's pissing me off big time. Let me explain -

Remember how I mentioned in a previous post about making a difficult decision to leave my current workplace and superteam? Well, my present office is something that I created and built up, and am so damn proud of. I mean, I don't own it, but I started it off from scratch and put it together without a single dog in my group helping me out (and I clearly needed the help at the time too!). Over the years, the number of employees have grown and developed with me, and we're quite a competitive entity now, and I can't help but feel quite bucked about the strides we've made and the way we've transformed from a bunch of clueless beginners to a well-oiled professional agency.

I've nurtured so many dreams for this place, and many a wish for where it would go in the years to come. Through the years, the place and the team have become so much more to me than just a company with colleagues. This is, and will always be MY baby. When I made the half-hearted choice to take up a new job offer that came my way, I immediately set about making plans for how my baby would manage in my absence. I'd gotten together a hard working team with plenty of passion, who were by now trained enough to run the show irrespective of my existence in the company. Even now they've taken on the task of making things happen without me, and that's exactly how I want it to be.

BUT, I didn't take into consideration that evil little thing called 'Management'. My company belongs to a larger corporate entity, run by a coven of slime-balls who work for themselves and no other. Up until now, I'd managed to fend them and their greedy hands off the company, and dashed alot of dreams bourne by personal ulterior motives. When I made the official announcement of my resignation, they pounced on the opportunity, and have begun work on taking control of the place. These people have little or no regard for my team, nor an understanding of how we work. It just so happens that this operation can offer several benefits to certain snakes in the group, and my going away makes their mission a lot easier.

And that's where the Spidey-itis comes in. This decision for me to move out was not one that could be made lightly, given that, as a manager and a leader, I was responsible for more than just MY career. I have a whole company full of other individuals, whose careers and job satisfaction rests on my shoulders. I'd made promises to my team, and I'd brought them to believe in me, and now, thanks to my choices and the demons around us, those beliefs will be torn apart.

Frankly, it SUCKS. I wish I could take a bazooka to the top management and blow all of them apart for being the conniving wolves that they are, but I can't. If it was a case of them doing something to benefit the company and the team, I'd be fine. But I know that's not the case. They have vested interest in this operation that could very well compromise all that I've worked so hard to achieve.

I can't help but feel so guilty for putting my guys into this rut. Here I am, floating away to a new job and a clean slate, whilst leaving them behind to fend off the rabid dogs. How dare I.

And now, it's too late for me to do anything about it. I've already given my word to the new office, and officially resigned from this one. I've invested money and time in replacing my post here, and there's no way in hell the group would take me back now, since it bogs up their agendas.

I can only be there for my guys, and hope that they'll stand up for themselves and my baby as much as I would have, were I here. I guess it's up to them now....

I feel like I'm letting so many people down, especially myself. I was given powers and I didn't use them wisely, and now so many others have to bear the result of it.

I hate Spidey-itis. Antidote, anyone?

6 comments:

Azrael said...

Man that sucks big time...

There'll always be slimeballs like that who are only after their own benefits and thinks, to hell with the others.

Sorry no antidote that i can think of. :(

You can always start your own agency with the same team. I'm sure they are more than willing to join ya...

Anonymous said...

You don't drink, so inebriation is out of the question. Comfort sex is always a good option, but repetitive doses may tax A and seem to be a challenge to his manhood, thereby exacerbating your problems. Perhaps some comfort shopping may help, for yourself and also for your colleagues? You can buy them fridge magnets or a dart board with your face as the bulls eye. Fundamentally of course, this is like sin in the Catholic faith. No amount of genuflection quite expiates the sense of inadequacy in the eyes of God - so no amount of comforting will help this issue or the fate of your colleagues. They are fucked royally.

dramaqueen said...

Azrael - yeah it does suck... Starting of on my own is not something I haven't thought about, actually... I just need a few more years in the field to load up the finances, experience and exposure before I do it. Hopefully,by that time, the original team will be around and willing to join in...

SH - there are just two people I know who use so many big words in one paragraph, and one's your wife. :) Did I assume right? If not, my apologies.
Thanks for the reality check, man... like I didn't know all this.

Anonymous said...

"My" implies a degree of paternal ownership over said person that I neither posses nor am ever desirous of possessing. But you guessed right. Here's a fresh thought for your colleagues - sipuku, Japanese for disembowelment with knife or sword. Would be merciful and save them from higher management who would subject them to even greater torture over the long term. I am helpful today aren't I?

dramaqueen said...

Very. You should take up counselling or consultancy.

SpectralCentroid said...

Leaving a good team sucks big time, indeed. I'm with you on that bit.

However, about them surviving the potential senior management onslaught? Well, how they'll handle it without their inspirational leader will define them as a team wouldn't it? That's the way with the corporate world. One or few of them will have to step up and play the game.