Monday, June 23, 2008

Blah blah blah...

I liiiiive! Buahahahahahahahahaaa! And more such manic laughter.

It's been three weeks since I blogged last. You had better have missed me. I know my cat did - she has this thing for walking all over the keyboard when I'm using it and she hasn't gotten to do it in a while. Annoys the hell out of me, so I stayed away from the PC until tonight... she's missing at the mo... must have gone a-whoring down yonder residential lane.

I missed you too!

My mind's in a mood to wander about tonight, so the content of this piece will be on everything and nothing in particular. Have just come home after a deeeelishuz dinner at Flower Drum - the mother of all Colombo Chinese restaurants. There's something about that place that makes it so magical for me...I can't place what it is. Every time I walk in there I'm hit with this ... this ... SMELL. And not a smelly smell, mind you....just a lovely aroma of scintillating Chinese food that thus far no other local restaurant has managed to produce for my olfactory pleasure. Have you ever smelled it too? As soon as I enter that main door I'm whizzed back into wonderful childhood memories of special evenings out at Flower Drum (back then we didn't have much of a choice). The food tastes different too. They have the best rice, man... conjures up all sorts of nostalgic forces. And the kankun.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. There are just two local Chinese joints where I love my kankun - Kinjou and Flower Drum. Smack.

So the dinner was good and I am now full, sleepy and up for a cuddle. Anyone?

Have been running around rather madly the last couple of weeks with work and shite. These days are spent holed up in an editing studio, putting together AVs for a client who has a penchant for changing their minds a million times over. It is frustrating, to say the least. At the same time, I find myself a lot more relaxed and chirpy in the confines of the production house than I do back at office and I really do enjoy AV work, so its all a mixed set of emotions for me.

Which brings me to another random point... I'm starting to not like my job. Cue nervous gnawing of nails. I mean... I love the industry and the work entailed, but I really really REALLY miss the euphoria of working with my ex-colleagues at the last place. We were so much poorer and smaller than the current office, but this new joint couldn't hold a candle to what I left behind. I miss the motivation and the urge to rush to office every morning in the hope of yet another fun-filled day at work with my bunch of crazies. Ugh. Severe withdrawal syndrome...

I'm a little confused right now as to whether I made the right decision to change employers. Or whether I'm in the right job at all. But thinking about all those other things I'd like to do just bring up the fears of risking financial security and ending up a failure. 'Better the known devil...' etc., etc. But for posterity's sake, I drew up a list of all the things I COULD do, if ever I plucked up the guts to quit my job:
  1. TV anchor - done it before... I know I can.
  2. Travel journalist - Who doesn't want to be one?
  3. Cafe/restaurant owner - Hey! I can cook, ok?
  4. Veterinary assistant - purr...woof... you get my drift.
  5. Teacher - done that too... but this time I'd opt for an adult classroom
  6. Entrepreneur - I tried starting a humor-based retail operation once, and the concept test-marketed quite well.
  7. Event co-ordinator
There's a longer list, but these are the immediate possibilities that would take less time to manifest, given that I already have the necessary skills and experience. All I'd need is the money and sufficient determination.

Ah well... let's take it as it comes. For now, I'm kissing client ass on behalf of someone else.

Hey I watched the Incredible Hulk! The BF kindly bought us premier tickets and I TOTALLY loved it. True, there are plenty of niggling shortfalls in terms of how true it is to the original comic, but I definitely preferred this version to Ang Lee's 2005 Hulk. Not to mention I was thrilled and gob-smacked with a certain cameo appearance at the end of the movie that got the whole cinema audience talking. I won't tell you who because I don't want to spoil it for you. Go see the movie before its too late- the big screen version is a must-watch.

Can't wait for Kung fu Panda that's lined up as the next attraction. I'm tempted to download but I think I'll wait.

And with that, I bid you adieu. Mainly because I've run out of things to write about. I swear I had more in my mind when I started this post, but it's failing me now.

Oh shit the cat is back...

4 comments:

Azrael said...

Hey the new look is great.

If the work environment is not good then you loose job satisfaction and interest it doing a proper job.

Well, the ideal is to have your own business, but that also not all can do. If you think you can do it, then why not go for it?

Scrumps said...

I know how you feel about the job thing too - I need to get out. I miss my collegues from my last job! :(

And Kung Fu Panda looks amazing- I can't wait! :)

Lady divine said...

*hugzz*
I know the feeling about missing Imps... sigh....
I used to love to get up in the morning just to be with the Imps and get all crazy.... sigh...

Was talking about it with Giggly M too last night... really really miss it!!

cj said...

Hi I must confess I missed your writings and glad that you decided to start hammering away at the key board once more...
As usual I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts I just wish you would write a book. Also I am surprised why I did not see the title of Author on the list of your prospective jobs? I think it should definitely be amongst the options you are considering. Hopefully I planted a seed. I would pay to read your writing.
On a more serious note start your own business now when you can do it before its too late... You dont have kids to feed and you would still have a meal in your stomach and a place to read if you dont even earn one red cent for a couple of months since you live with your mom and dad. What I am trying to say is making a lakh for yourself is far more rewarding than making a million for someone else... specially when you see it comfortably lounging in your bank account. Dont hesitate and make the mistake I made. Go for it. You are bound to succeed... and even if you dont (dont mean to be negative) you can always get a job back in the industry... you know how starved for people they are