Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ich liebe die German Restaurant!

Yesterday the Doc and I celebrated another monniversary (monthly 'anniversary'). Yes... we are both pathetic suckers who take joy in the fact that our relationship has made it for another month, despite having dated for quite a number of years now. It's our 'thing'. Heh.

So, in the spirit of celebration we pondered over where to have our ritualistic romantic dinner. An office colleague suggested we try the German Restaurant (a.k.a. Bavarian Barn) on Galle Road and order their spare ribs.

Now, I'm one of those gals who eats alot. A hell of a lot. And as much as I feel queasily guilty every time I eat a dead animal, I still hipocritically savour the taste of meat- especially spare ribs. It is my curse... to act as an advocate of animal rights and then salivate over a good plate of ribs. Needless to say, quandary aside, I jumped at the chance to try this particular menu out, given that the last time I had proper german-style ribs was when travelling in Belgium. (Those ribs warrant an entirely different post.)

I was promised a dish that was to die for; my colleague claimed that he and his wife couldn't even survive one portion of it when they'd gone last.

So with much anticipation and plenty of saliva glands overworking themselves, Doc and I took a trip to the GR. This wasn't my first time going there, but I figured I'd offer you a few 'reviewer-like' words on the place itself.

I personally love the ambience at the German Restaurant. Someone argued that it was too dark and creepy, but I think that's part of it's charm. It reeks of a typical Deutsche pub-ness, with it's chunky dark wooden furniture and ale-house atmosphere. I adore the privacy and intimacy it affords to its diners, even though sometimes creeping behind the cloistered furniture and actually getting your butt ON your seat can be a task. restaurant-wise, the decor and atmosphere are truely unique.

Now, onto the topic of the night - the food.

Wow wow wow wow wow.

Have I said enough?

Everything we ate was delicious. The spareribs, though not on the menu, is a house speciality that you have to ask for. I am SO glad I did, because they were divine. Thought not as large a portion or as extensive as I was made to believe by my colleague, it was definitely very fullfilling in every way. They were cooked to perfection in an awesomely drippy BBQ sauce and served with an enormous load of roasted potato wedges that I couldn't finish. I got three big, luscious ribs and this mountain of potatoes along with a healthy portion of salad for the price of Rs. 1000/-, which although slightly high, was definitely worth the fare.
I hate when ribs are overcooked or too crisp, and these were just up my street- juicy, soft and oozing with taste. The only other place I've had such fantastic spare-ribs in Sri Lanka is the Cheers Pub at the Cinnamon Grand.

Doc opted for the herb marinated grilled pork chops, which was equally sublime. One thing's for sure... this is one restaurant that never skimps on the amount of food they serve- a truly German experience. Because we're both greedy, we shared with each other so nothing went untasted by both. Our greed also led us to actually finish every morsel on our plates, a feat that we'd not have accomplished had it not been for the chef's skill at creating such delicious food.

At the end of the evening, we were too full, drowsy and heavy to even think of getting out of our seats. Even our satisfied burps were erm... burped... with effort, because physical movement of any kind was unthinkable.

Food always tastes so much better when in the right company, and I am mighty glad I had my first dibs at the GR spare-ribs on my monniversary with the Doc. The experience was that much more delicious.

So here's to more monniversaries and more gorging at the Bavarian Barn!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally used to prefer the Frankfurt Lavinia restaurant. The atmosphere was much more relaxed and homely while the food was awesome, both in taste and portions size!

Scrumps said...

You have made me so hungry! :(

Anonymous said...

it should be 'ich liebe' not lieber. next time try google translate..its not generally terrible but for simple translations it might work ;)

http://www.google.com/translate_t

Jack Point said...

Food quality seems to have gone up, must try it sometime. How were the prices?

The place was known the past for superb atmosphere and average food.

Some years back the idiots in charge lightened the place up (it was more dark and cosy earlier) and put in more tables and food quality became more patchy.

Have not bothered going there of late because parking issues.

dramaqueen said...

thekillromeoproject - I haven't tried the Mount one... now that you've convinced me, I must give it a go.

Scrump - oops! SOrry. :)

Exile - Thanks. Noted and corrected.

jack point - I personally really like the food. The prices are a little high though, but it also depends on what you order. The lighting is still dark and cosy, but yes... there is a bit of a table traffic jam going on. But more often than not the restaurant isn't full, so it doesn't matter.
Parking is not an issue. They actually have quite a large secure parking lot allocated to diners just a short stroll away from the restaurant. It's about two shops down on Galle Road itself.

Jack Point said...

Thanks. Frankfurt Lavinia closed about a year or two back, an early victim of the Chinthanaya so don't bother going there.

Anonymous said...

unfortnately, the Mount one has now shut down....!

Anonymous said...

hi this is not related to this post per say.. Just wanted to say i've been reading your blog and spent most of yesterday doing just that! Very well written and lots of food for thought ~ ! good on you gal !!

Dee said...

Oo my dad loves this place. Maybe coz my parents lived in Berlin in the swinging seventies. SIGH! oh well... I luv the atmosphere too! :)