Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Charming Way to Eat

Felt greedy last evening and decided to treat mum to a dinner out (more for my benefit than her's...). I was fishing around for a restaurant I hadn't tried before and a friend suggested I check out the Havelock Place Bungalow, better known as the Havelock Bungalow amongst its patrons. I'd heard of the place before, but from the reviews I'd received and what I'd read I had thus far assumed it was another avante garde boutique hotel that was way out of my league both financially and socially.

Having an inkling of faith in my friend who insisted it wasn't that pricey a joint, I decided to give the place a look-see.

I have to admit, I was quite satisfied and what's better is that mum loved it. For starters, it didn't reek of pretentious artsy fartsy like so many other restaurants. Those places just make me wish I was a turban-toting foreign heiress with a long black cigar holder in my mouth, just to fit in. On the contrary, Havelock Bungalow was so cosy and pretty that you couldn't help but feel perfectly at home. This converted residence oozes snug appeal and privacy, with its warm wooden interiors, serene verandah restaurant and large leafy trees enveloping the entire place. The ambience was absolutely charming and this was heightened even more by the fact that it was practially empty when we went. Mum hates eating amidst noise and fake accents, and I'm happy to say this had neither. Only the tinkling sound of running water from the nearby pool and some soft jazz in the background to complete the beautifully quaint feel of the place.


The menu, albeit not extensive, was tasteful and impressive in it's own way. What thrilled me even more was that the prices were excellent when compared to the fare on offer! I'd honestly expected to have paid alot more, given the fancy names of the dishes and the time and care taken to prepare and serve them. Mum tried the brochette of seer & prawn with corander rice, whilst I took a chance on the maple roast pork with sweet potato, chillie butter and greens. We finished off with dessert - chocolate marquise with vanilla custard and toasted nuts for mum, and banana crepes doused in honey with vanilla ice-cream for me. Yummay.

Service was fast, polite and completely devoid of snobbery. The hostess was an extremely pleasant lady who kept checking in on us to make sure we were kept happy. It felt like we were dining at a favourite aunt's home; she was that down-to-earth and sincere in her eagerness to please.

All in all, 4 out of 5 for Havelock Bungalow. I'll definitely be going again- this time on a romantic date (hopefully)- because that's what the place is ideally suited for. I've been told they have an equally wonderful stay-in hotel experience on offer too, with seven plush rooms and all other boutique hotel facilities.

If you haven't tried the place out, then I whole-heartedly recommend it to you. Take your mother... she'll love it.

7 comments:

Jack Point said...

Yes, have not been there in a couple of yera but do remember it as offering good value. Nice place for a snack in the afternoon.

SpectralCentroid said...

Where is it at? There's nothing more calming and soothing than the sound of running water.

dramaqueen said...

spectralcentroid- It's down the lane adjoining the Laugfs supermarket/gas station on havelock road.

Anonymous said...

Spectralcentroid: Here's a link to the location on Wikimapia I put a link back to this post :)

Had a yummy lunch there a while back. Ate out in the shade of the trees to the tweet of birds. Colombo felt far way. Time stopped. We crawled out of there around 3 :)

Angel said...

Sounds yummy... and better yet, manageable by my chronically borke self! :) Thanks for the review.

of a cuddlywuddly & a monstrously cute creature said...

oh yes! awesome place dude! we used to go there all the time...havent gone in ages too...me thinks they have an absolutely scrumptious double chocolate cheese cake...sigh...must go again! :)

The Doctor said...

I liked it too. Ideal for a romantic candlelit dinner. Food was quite good and filling. Must go again sometime...