Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Drama Continues

“She’s leaving! She’s leaving!!” screeches a colleague of mine, eyes glittering at the news that a certain someone I blogged about two posts ago had apparently handed in her resignation. Within seconds, two other colleagues were delivering me the same news with smiles bigger than the Cheshire cat’s. “My god… it must have been your mail”, theorizes one, referring to the group mail I’d sent out some days back about professionalism in the office environment.

“Doubt it”, says I. “I haven’t mentioned her name or accused anyone directly. That mail could have been meant for anyone or everyone… and really, why would one resign over something like that?”

They didn’t care to listen, because they were too busy high-fiving each other and excitedly gossiping about a happier life at office post-resignation of said individual. I was being hailed as something of a hero for finally putting into words the frustrations that so many have felt, and that was a bigger deal than my attempt to sort this damn office’s problems out.

Then came Monday, when yet another colleague, this time with a long disappointed face, confided to a group of us that she might not actually be leaving and that perhaps her resignation had been revoked. Collective sighs could be heard all around, until someone decided to be a smart alec.

“Hey Dramaqueen, can’t you write another letter about her? Send out some other direct reports, will you. Aiyo please?” A few heads nodded in agreement.

No. I could not. Look… my group mail, for all intents and purposes was pointing out faults I saw in this office as a whole, and criticism was directed at more than just this one person, although she figured in a large part of it. I’d already had my say about what I thought was going wrong, and that’s as far as I wanted to take it. I’m not about to make this a personal-bias war and get petty and ridiculous about it. Unprofessionalism at work aside, she could be a reasonable person outside the confines of the office. I had already addressed her questionable work style in the most diplomatic way I thought possible without having to take it to such a personal level.

That night I remembered a comment on my previous blog mentioning that she’d put up an FB status message about ‘laughing at an under-cutting bitch’. This morning’s status claimed that she ‘hated her view at work’. Assuming she means me, I realized it wasn’t my group mail that had sent her off her rocker (if she wasn’t off it before), but instead it was this blog. Someone out there knew who I was and passed it on to her, and now she’s riled up like a cat on a hot tin roof.

As Rhett Butler so fabulously put it - frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

If she’s read my blog, then I’m glad she did. It saves me the task of having to say all I felt to her face, which would have been unprofessional of me. This office is silly enough without me having to add to the drama by loudly poking personal insults at anyone. A blog being a blog, is a personal thing where inner viewpoints are typed down under pseudonym and names aren’t named for the reasons of respect for people’s privacy and identity. If readers recognize me or the characters I write about, I cannot help nor regret it. What you choose to do or feel about my e-diary is your problem and not mine… it will never stop me expressing myself.

Should she read this post too, then I do have a message for her-

Sweetheart, you know who you are. So does everyone else, although I haven’t named you. That could only mean one thing… that what I write is the truth and a reflection of what everyone, including yourself, knows. Isn’t it odd that they don’t assume it’s anyone else? You can hate me, cuss me or sue me, I don’t really care. This is what I feel about the way you work, and now you know.

For your information, an ‘under-cutter’ or ‘backstabber’ is someone who does sneaky things behind your back to get your job. It is bourne out of competition. I am neither doing anything behind your back nor am I even remotedly interested in your job. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and moved on to a different line of work altogether, so don’t get your proverbial panties in a twist. Had I wanted to ‘backstab’ you, I’d have named you all over the place. I haven’t. I could have taken my annoyance with you to the higher authorities and lodged in complaints like so many others are preparing to do. I haven’t.

I have, however, written out my evil thoughts about you in this blog in order to release my frustrations with working alongside you and having to bear your attitude problem and your basket-case mannerisms. If you don’t like it, then my work is done. Perhaps we can leave each other alone then, and just keep the work flowing PROFESSIONALLY next time. And perhaps… just perhaps… you’ll listen to what’s going on around you and be a little nicer to people and not just limit the sugary voice to when your sucking up or asking for favours.

Or perhaps you could start up a blog and bitch about me in return? Trust me on this… it feels great.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Babe... asking her to start a blog would mean that she actually can write something that makes sense and doesnt include the words shopping, shoes, belts, clothes, g.strings,bikini's, food and 'sex-for-something-free' in it. Your actually assuming that she has what it takes to keep a blog. Trust me she doesnt, so dont encourage her. The world has enough of her as is without her invading the bloggersphere as well. That said... I dont think she's ever going to take a look inside and realise she should change or be a nicer person. Its just not going to happen. Well maybe it will the day she's old and wrinkly and people dont want to sleep with her anymore. But nice try. The resignation was probably an attempt to get her salary hiked up again... she's done it before... and won. She's still reaping the benefits.

Anonymous said...

Right through your post I can only say you show an impeccable sense of professionalism and good judgement with a healthy dose of confidence and backed by good old common sense. The subject of your post would definitely benefit from adopting these traits...better late than never. Thats my advice if she is reading.

Ian Selvarajah said...

Ah...love the office drama! Especially when it's blending into not-so-anonymous blogging!!

If she IS reading this, as L said, I hope that she listens to your advice.

Oh- how would a resignation letter get revoked? Is this a Sri Lankan thing? Or do you mean she changed her mind?

dramaqueen said...

Anonymous- Ouch and meow! That was harsh... I honestly hope there never comes a day where she gives me a reason to be so bitter! I didn't know that she'd done the resigning thing before. Ah well... what to do. At least she still knows how I feel.

L - Thank you. I'm trying to stay professional for my good as well as the good of the office on a whole, although its very hard.

Ian - Yes, I'm rather amused by it too! Well, I don't really know how resignations get revoked... I think what happened in earlier similar incidents is that a certain someone in management who has quite a strong affinity with her, defended her and convinced the CEO to reject the resignation. But that's just gossip and speculation...

Jack Point said...

err anonymous...string bikinis, gstrings, sex-for free... you would'nt mind posting telephone number would you...:)

dramaqueen said...

jack point - er... i don't think anyone should give you any numbers, seeing as how the whole point was to keep names and identities anonymous!!

But yes, she is fairly hot... I'll give her that much. If only she underwent an attitude adjustment she'd be quite the bird.

Jack Point said...

Awww she's hot??

You need to set her up with teh right kind of guys you know who can show her the true path....

Anonymous said...

Hey how do you guyz work when the office env is so unpleasant like this.? You will not have a peace of mind and it will kill your productivity right ? May I ask whats the industry you are in to ? is this a software/Garment/Advertising or any public sector company?

dramaqueen said...

Anon- lets just say we work in the service industry. I won't specify which service because then it narrows down too much to allow identification, if that hasn't been done already. And you're right... it's not at all easy to work with unpleasantness.

Jack Point said...

Thought the industry was pretty clear??

I can blurt out my guess but i dont want to annoy Hissyfits..

Read some of the older posts and see.